Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Sweet Potato And Applesauce Dog Treats

Charlie being so patient while I took his picture

For this post it is So Easy My Dog Could Bake It, because I am going to share and blog about a dog treat recipe I tried. With all of the news about treats and food from China being bad for dogs, I thought I should look up making dog treats. This is also good because you can save a bit of money making them yourself rather than going out and buying them.... and with 5 dogs currently in the house, saving money when you can, is important! 

This recipe was very simple to make and I think it is safe to say the dogs like them!


Sweet Potato
The recipe calls for four ingredients: 1 cup of sweet potato, 1/4 cup of applesauce, 21/2 cups of  flour and 2 eggs. I put the sweet potato in the microwave for about 5 minutes after I poked some holes in it, and then I scooped the sweet potato out of the skin.

Applesauce
 One of the things I learned with this recipe is it is really easy to make applesauce. You can either cut up the apples and put it in the microwave for 4 minutes with a tbsp of butter or you can do it on the stove with some water and butter. I did it in the microwave. And after I mashed it a bit I put it in the blender to cut the skins of the apple (but if you peel the apples you don't have to do this). Or you can use store bought applesauce, but frankly, I think this is more fun and I like how you know what is in it if you make the applesauce yourself. And it was just a good learning experience :-)

Apple and her cookie. She was not in the mood to leave it alone on her paw.
The Dough
Something I noticed about the dough was that it was extremely sticky, just about as sticky as a wet cookie dough. But in the end it was all right, I just had to put a little flour down on my counter-top so that it was easier to remove after rolling it out.


Bedtime treats

Another thing about making dog treats is cutting them. I did not use a cookie cutter, I just used a knife and cut them into two different sizes... the ones above and the ones below.

Training treats
They were in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes.

Overall I would say that these were a hit! Charlie followed me for a good 10 minutes after he ate his :-) I stored them in two separate sandwich bags... one for the small treats and a different one for the larger treats. It's been a couple of weeks and they still taste great! Oh, the most important thing... they are good for humans too! 

The link to the recipe is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment