Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Complete Report

A few days ago, I did a post about the beginning stages of my room. Today, I will continue talking a bit about the process and proceed to show off a 98% completed room.

So, after I finished the white, I taped it off. I used this tape called Frog Tape. We used it in my brother's room in the last house to get nice clean lines, so I used it again. 

Freshly taped walls.

It was a tad tedious taping all of the peaks on the walls, but it didn't take too long. This time, I think I handled the tape a bit too much, because I didn't get nice sharp lines. Aw well. It still looks mighty cool.

Notice the bits of purple that crept in.
Because I knew this would bug me over time, I embarked on the journey of touching up the white with an art paint brush. It hasn't been too hard, it's just slow. I plan on finishing up this part today.

The tidied up peaks. Much better!
So, there it is. My new room. I really love how it turned out! A special thank you goes out to my brother, who rolled the purple for me. My dad, who I talked into painting my ceiling. And my mom, for all her sage advice and expertise! Thanks, Y'all! 

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Progress Report

The plan for my new room is fully in motion. It's going to be multiple steps, but at least it's finally started.

First, I should probably reveal a little more about my vision for my room.

The Color
For my main color, I chose this brilliant purple by Valspar.

And white is my secondary color.

The Design

At first, I was going to do a chair rail, painting underneath white and above purple. But after looking at moldings at Lowe's and Home Depot, I changed my mind. I'm not sure if it's because there were too many to choose from or because I didn't really love any of them. But, in any case, I did change my mind, AGAIN, regarding my room.

That was the last time, thankfully!

So, instead of a chair rail dividing the purple from the white, I decided to do a jagged line, as if the purple and the white were separating from each other. On Monday, I finished this part.

The Process
Before pulling the white paint out, I did the usual wall prep (filing in holes, sanding ,wiping the moldings, taping, ect.) but I also marked in pencil my peaks (I forgot to take a picture before beginning the white). By doing this, I had a border for cutting in the white. The pictures above are of the completed white. I cut in 3 coats and rolled on 2. I'm letting this cure for a couple of days before beginning the next part, which I will write another post about when I finish.