Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Creme Brulee

French might be a weird language, but sometimes names sound better in French. Like Creme Brulee. It sounds fancy, like something you'd order off a menu on a whim.


Some fancy chocolate burnt creme.

In English, it means "burnt cream." Not really something that sounds too appealing. It sounds a little boring, to be honest. 
 
But I've got to tell you. I've made "burnt cream" and its delicious. It's appealing and the exact opposite of boring. I mean, anytime you can use a torch in the kitchen you're going to have a good time. I highly recommend making some Creme Brulee!

 Ingredients:
  •  2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons of sugar
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (of your choice, i used dark chocolate)
  • 5 egg yolks
  • sugar, for dusting
That's it! Just four ingredients!


The first step is to heat the heavy cream and 1/4 cup sugar in a pot, making sure to mix in the sugar. Heat this until it begins to simmer. Once it has begun to simmer, add the chocolate, being sure to whisk it until it's smooth.




In a seperate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar. 




Now, slowly pour the egg yolks into the cream mixture while whisking. You want to take your time. This part is a bit like pastry cream. Going slow minimizes the chance of ending up with cooked egg bits in your cream. I cannot emphasize enough that you need to constantly be whisking... so if you happen to need a second pair of hands to help, don't be afraid to ask.

Once its all combined, you can strain it through a sieve, if you want. I didn't because I was fairly confident that I had no egg bits, but it's all a matter of opinion.




Now, you can pour the cream into ramekins. You can fill them however full you'd like, they don't rise very much. Once the cream is in the ramekins, place them in a brownie pan and fill the pan with just enough water to reach halfway up the ramekins.

They bake at 250 for about an hour or until they're just set.



Let them cool on the counter until they can travel into the fridge. In the fridge, they really set up quickly, which makes it easier for burning sugar on the tops.

At the moment, I cannot find the video my brother made of me doing the top. When I do find it, I will add it.


Beware with these, they taste very, very delicious. This recipe definitely receives 5 out of 5 cat whiskers!!

I found the recipe here.
I also made a vanilla version. I need to find the pictures before I write a post for it, but don't worry... chocolate was better! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment